Misconceptions of Introverts

misc introverts.jpg

I am a proud introvert, and I have come to find that many people misunderstand us and create myths. Well I am here to bust some of these myths.

Introverts Are Shy

Introverts seem to be put in an anti-social box far too often. It is true that being around a lot of people and high energy for a long time is incredibly draining for us, but that doesn’t mean we don’t like spending time with others. We prefer a smaller group in a conversation over a loud club with hundreds, that doesn’t make us all shy.

photo-1444211353227-635db788ed4a.jpg

Introverts Hate People

Again, we don’t enjoy being around a ton of people, but that doesn’t mean we hate them. We may jokingly say it sometimes (myself guilty of this) but it is not actually true. We just recharge when alone, and get drained from being around people, it’s just how we work.

Introverts Can’t Work With Others

This is maybe a half truth. We can work with people, and do often, but some of us prefer to work alone. Other people act as a distraction for us and can take all of our motivation out of us, so when we want work to get done, we stay alone.

picjumbo.com_HNCK8433.jpg

Introverts Are Lazy

I find so many illustrations of introverts being wrapped in blankets and watching Netflix so now people think that is all we do. It is quite the opposite. Sure, we enjoy lying in bed on Tumblr from time to time, but that’s just when we need to recharge away from others. I actually get a lot of work done when by myself, like writing for my blogs.

Introverts Are Quiet

Yes, we can be quiet, but our thoughts are very loud. We are definitely the think before your speak type of people, where we analyze what we say before we say it. We also really hate small talk, because it doesn’t fulfill our enjoyment of deep conversation, so it’s just noise to some of us. We will speak, but we are very particular about what we say.

Are you an introvert? Maybe an extrovert? Shout out in the comments which you are!

1. Great observations, Michelle. We introverts come in many different. varieties, and the one the thing we truly have in common is, as you mentioned, need to recharge with alone time. I, for one, love working with people, but I guess I’m kind of sensitive about the kinds of people I’m most comfortable around (sincere, open, willing to be goofy, but not too hyper). Maybe extroverts aren’t as picky. 🙂

2. dawnlizjones says:

“Yes, we can be quiet, but our thoughts are very loud.” Brilliant quote. I have just recently (past few years or so) been learning the true distinction of this brand of personality strata, having misunderstood it in the past, and imagine my surprise when I realized that I am an introvert, actually a bit of an “antrivert”, having both qualities. Thanks for an insightful post.

3. Hammad Rais says:

Hello, fellow introvert! Like you said, I’m shy but don’t hate people. I love those around me very much. I can work with others too. Yes, still very much shy. But the most strongest point is definitely how quite I’m. My thoughts speaks so loud. Sometimes I wish others could hear me but then its a good thing that they can’t.

4. kimlac says:

I LOVE this…I am an introvert and all those misconceptions are so true. It’s exactly how I feel…thanks for spreading the word

5. I sure relate to all that has been said. It took me until I was almost 40 to realize I am an introvert. Knowing that helps me conserve energy when I can, so I can be with people more often. I wish I had known when I was younger so I wouldn’t have been so used and abused by others–only because I let them. I no longer let them. Thanks to you, Michelle, you are helping people acknowledge and deal with this fact of life for them and hopefully be more successful because of that. You are a fine role model.

6. I appreciate the insight. I think its important to understand each other!
    Kari

7. Kare Hopkins says:

Love this post. I can totally relate- I am a introvert myself. The one part that struck a cord with me was when you mentioned how introverts hate small talk, that’s me to a T. Blogging is a great outlet for me. Thanks for sharing, makes me feel good that someone else has the same feelings.

8. Interesting post, I’m not an introvert but I certainly am friends with some, one for sure. 😉
    –Melissa

9. I only just discovered that I am an extroverted introvert. What a relief to figure out and not feel like such an idiot anymore. I am the life of the party but first to leave. Ha ha. And that is okay.

10. Love this post! I’m a huge introvert, yet I’m not shy (though, I might actually really dislike loud people) or all that quiet (unless I’m on my own). I also work two office jobs on top of a full undergrad course load (not lazy) with tons of extroverted people.

11. shastalilies says:

I can relate to this too! I am an introvert and was definitely more shy when I was younger, but the older I get, the less I care about what people think so I’ll speak out more now. We definitely aren’t lazy. Most introverts are quite the opposite I think. Well disciplined and great at being productive on our own.

12. sveeteskapes says:

I think I am little bit of both, if you know what I mean 😉 The biggest misconception people do have about introverts is that they are lazy, I have seen that a lot of introverts are the most hard working people. We should just learn to appreciate people for who they are and not generalize.
    xx, Kusum | http://www.sveeteskapes.com

13. Love this post! The hardest misconception I’ve had to fight as a fellow introvert is the idea that I’m a snob or that I don’t engage because I’m turning my nose up at other people– which is absolutely not true. I’m usually just trying to figure out the “right way” to approach a situation and have a hard time finding my “in”.

14. francineclouden says:

Co-signing this! Have you read Quiet by Susan Cain. It’s a great read for both introverts and extraverts. She has an entire Quiet Revolution movement going now too.

15. Wendy says:

I’m an introvert an I can literally relate to all of these! Love it!

16. Really great post! I totally agree with this bizarre overlap of people associating introverts with people who have a severe Netflix addiction! …not that there’s anything wrong with that! *guilty*

17. hilkayaker says:

Introverts unite all the way!!

18. I love this! I am an introvert and my fiance is somewhat both. I don’t like to do small talks. If I bumped into an acquaintance out in the public, it is often awkward. That is true we are often quiet but our thoughts are LOUD!