The Importance of Knowing What You Are Good At

guy

If you’re anything like me, you reflect on yourself quite often. You might even make lists of different things about yourself. This post is specifically focusing on making a list of things you think you are good at. And I’m not talking about that list you put on your resume. I’m talking about the random little things that you know you can do and have actually done.

It is always good to know what you’re good at for many reasons. For example, it can be used as a way to connect to other individuals and find people who mutual share in the “I can do this club”. You can also use it as a way to develop other skills or as an advantage when learning something new. It’s also a great tool when you need a little self esteem boost. If you’re ever feeling a little down just think “But I can do this like nobody’s business!” and go on with you’re awesome self. There are endless possibilities when you know what you’re good at.

Here is my criteria for making this list:

1. Not many other people can also do this.

2. You have done this multiple times.

It’s a very short criteria list, but it’s left to help you make your own criteria. One I considered adding is the optional number 3 of this is something you’re proud of, but if you are inclined to disregard this than by all means. You do you after all.

If you read my quarter life crisis post, you know that I, along with many, many others, often feel stress, anxiety, and inadequacies in life. By knowing what you are good at, and what you enjoy, it can help you get on a path of happiness and success.

1. Shann Eva says:

It’s really great when you find something you’re good at. It’s taken me many years to figure it out, and I think I find more as I grow older…at least I hope I do. I really like your simple criteria too.

2. I love this!! It’s so wonderful when you find something you’re good at!

3. Chelsea says:

I love your criteria for determining what tangents you have that make you different. Very insightful

4. Ha Ha. BRIL–LIANT. You and I are on a similar posting schedule it appears. Really nice work here. You ARE good at this and not many people can appeal and write the way you do. Keep going!

5. I would add “being passionate about it” to your list. If you are passionate about something, it will become something you are good at even if you aren’t currently great at it.

6. jennybee2014 says:

Good post. Sometimes it’s hard to work out what you’re good at though. And it should be something you will always enjoy doing.

7. When you are able to uncover what you are good at life become happier. You become at peace with yourself.

8. Aishwarya S says:

I love such intuitive posts. Well written! 🙂

9. I guess it doesn’t really matter what others think either. If ya love it then do it! BTW, I love the name of your blog.

10. jenburby says:

This is a good tip that many people overlook: focusing on their personal strengths, knowing what the strengths are, and not comparing themselves to others. Thanks for sharing and Cheers!

11. Laura says:

Identifying what you are good at, always seems to be the hardest part. Thanks for sharing!

12. Barbara says:

They definitely need to teach this in school so their less undeclared majors. Thanks for sharing.