What Harry Potter Taught Me About Life

Harry-Potter-Logo-2

I grew up with the Harry Potter series, with full audio of the books on cassette tapes (yeah I’m kinda old) and the hardcover versions of each book fresh off the printer and into my hands. I cried, laughed, and connected with the characters and the story. It can be said I am a diehard Potterhead, and I won’t deny it, seeing as I’ve been sorted into Gryffindor and my wand is made of cedar with unicorn core, 10 ¾ inches and unbending.
Every story has lessons to learn, and the lessons are truly unique for every reader, and Harry Potter is not an exception. Here are a few of the many things I’ve learned from the Harry Potter series.

Stand Up for Your Beliefs

This runs throughout the books, particularly with Harry constantly fighting for the freedom and safety of the whole wizarding world. But, a more specific example is Hermione and her fight for the freedom of house elves, also known as the Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare. She wasn’t going to let the norms of society keep her from standing up for the idea of elvish freedom from slavery.

Loss is Inevitable

There is a great deal of death in the Harry Potter series. The very beginning of the series starts with Harry losing his parents, and then he continues to experience loss throughout the series. No matter what Harry tries, his loved ones still die. It teaches us that loss is inevitable, no amount of magic can change that, and to never forget those you have lost.

Make Your Own Choices

Dumbledore said it best in The Chamber of Secrets, “It is our choices that tell us who we really are, far more than our abilities.” The decisions we make show our character to the world. Harry makes the decision to not be a Slytherin, because he knows that’s not who he is. Don’t let the sorting hat of life make all the decisions for you,because you have the power to make your own choices.

Diversity is Important

Harry Potter teaches us to appreciate diversity, with pure bloods, half bloods, mud bloods, squibs, elves, centaurs, giants, trolls, and so many more species. The amount of diversity in the wizarding world exceeds reality, and the tolerance that is taught by many wizards and witches is tolerance we should accept into our own lives.

Love is Stronger than Hate

We learn in the beginning how Harry’s Mom’s love saved him when he was only a baby, and that taught us that love is it’s own kind of magic. When you have love on your side, you can defeat the dark lord and his army of death eaters and dementors with ease. Love is an incredible motivation to defeat hate, as the story of Severus Snape teaches us all. Love is one of the best things you can have in your life. Always.

Geek Girl's Guide

Want more Harry Potter? Or just geeky blogging in general? Then go check out A Geek Girl’s Guide!

1. Another great post! I am the same vintage if you listened to cassette tapes. But did you ever own an eight track?

2. Joanna says:

I love the different perspective on this. I am a HUGE HP fan, but i think it’s important to note how many youth watch it as well. There are actually valuable lessons to be learned in it, due mostly to the fact that it was written so beautifully.

3. Mia says:

I love Harry Potter! I can’t wait to share the series (books and movies) with my kids! 🙂 I really love these lessons, especially the one about love being stronger than hate. So true!

4. Tianna says:

such an awesome post! Might have to do one of these on my blog haha 🙂 thanks for sharing!!

Stop by and chat with me ♥ http://storybookapothecary.com/

5. Perfect! I love Harry Potter. Grew up with the characters. There are so many amazing life lessons throughout the series. I love the ones you’ve chosen.

6. Karin Rambo says:

Okay. I just absolutely love this post! I honestly can’t wait to introduce my kids to the series. There are so many good life lessons that I’ll be able to introduce to them through the series. 🙂 I love meeting other HP fanatics!

7. Sahar says:

So true! There are so many great topics in Harry Potter that has generated countless discussions in my life. To narrow it down to just a story seems almost disrespectful!

8. Natalie says:

I LOVE Harry Potter! I, too, am an oldie when it comes to the series (I can remember going to one of the book releases!), but I never get tired of them. My husband’s always asking me why I re-read them–I’m pointing him to this article next time!

9. beckyginther says:

This is fabulous. I love Harry Potter – I’ve been to multiple conventions and even gave talks on literary topics (including Shakespeare and Harry Potter and the theme of music in the series). It has so many fantastic lessons I really do believe the books shaped the person I am today.

10. resamichelle says:

I LOVE Harry Potter, and I think you might really like Harry Potter and Philosophy: Hogwarts for Muggles. It’s a series of essays about the world of Harry Potter and the philosophical implications of the various scenarios presented.

11. I will love Harry Potter forever. There is so much to learn from those books!

12. Becki S says:

Great post! My husband and I both grew up with HP and I can’t wait to have little ones to share it with.

13. Krysten says:

The diversity thing always really bothers me and I’ve never understood why people think HP isn’t diverse. Gah, this is the BEST series.

14. Diana says:

I grew up reading Harry Potter and it was a huge part of my childhood! I definitely think I learned a lot of important life lessons from reading the Harry Potter series! http://www.littlemissfangirly.com

15. Loved this!!! Harry Potter is the best!

16. Valerie@Occasionally Crafty says:

I love Harry Potter- the books and the movies, for their own reasons! There are so many wonderful things about them. You hit on some of the most important for sure!

17. Bethany says:

Harry Potter is the first book I read to my infant daughter! I plan on just going through the series over and over and over and over with her! I hope she loves it as much as I do!

18. Lyka says: