How To Pass Time On Long Trips

train traveler

I am often found on long train trips and car rides, travelling at least 50+ hours a year between school and my family alone. So I have found myself bored often enough where now I plan for something to do, and here are some of the activities I do while travelling.

Sleep

As a kid I got motion sick fairly easily, so I could only sleep in order to prevent being nauseous or worse. Now, I tend to sleep, especially when I have to get up early to get on a train or plane. I like to make sure I have a sweatshirt that I can make a blanket or a pillow, depending on what I need more, and I don’t have to worry about carrying it because I can wear it. Of course, if you would rather have an actual pillow or blanket, do so. The more comfortable you are, the more likely you will actually sleep.

Read

I am the kind of person who can get lost in a book for endless hours without knowing the time, thus a good activity for endless travelling. I am fond of print books, especially since I don’t have to worry about having a deviced charged to read. As for what books to bring, I wouldn’t suggest bringing a large novel that’s 1,000 pages, but a shorter book that can easily slide into carry on luggage without sacrificing large amounts of space. Two books I have read while travelling are The Great Gatsby and Perks of Being A Wallflower, because they are shorter in length but easy to sink into for the whole trip.

Listen to Music

Music is essential for travelling because there are often sounds you want to ignore, including the baby crying, kids screaming, or adult complaining. Also, it can be done during the other activities. I always have music when travelling, and often listen to every song on my phone at least once (that’s how long my travelling takes). I sleep with music and read with music, so I must also travel with music.

What do you do to past time while travelling?

1. Sara Strand says:

I do all of these, if I’m not the one driving, of course. I know for my kids I found at a local book store this tin can of maze games that came with a dry erase marker. That got us through a 14 hour drive from our house to Mount Rushmore in South Dakota. Worth it!!

2. adrianarenee says:

I tend to sleep because I feel like time goes by faster that way.

3. Valerie@Occasionally Crafty says:

I am the reader. I load up my Kindle with some good reads and I’m good to go!

4. Any good reads recently? I’m looking for a good read soon 🙂

I love to load up my Kindle so I always have a book available.

Mandie from yellowdogpinkpig.com

1. I recently read Paper Towns by John Green, which I enjoyed. It would be a great travel read because it is a light read and has a road trip vibe to it (and a road trip in it)

I love to read on planes or watch a movie (if it’s a super long flight) or listen to music on road trips.

6. HayliDJ says:

Reading definitely makes me sick on car rides. I’m surprised it doesn’t you if you used to when you were younger!

7. These are my go to things too! I also crochet a little and bring along a “puzzle book.”

8. Nikki says:

I love long trips! I read and write. I also get online if I can. I also knit or crochet.

9. I read, listen to music, draw and write.

10. Rhonda says:

I used to crochet, but my neck and shoulder get too stiff now. But I read, like you do. I write down ideas for stories, my blog or my novel. I capture conversation on board around me that helps me as a writer to write more realistic dialogue. If I am traveling on a plane, I always carry pen and paper and often colored markers. When a child is restless or crying, I offer pen and paper to draw or to color with markers. Grown-up coloring books (not illicit, but more complex designs) are also terrific ways to take up time while traveling, if the travel is not to bumpy.

1. I’ve seen the adult coloring books and was tempted to get one for just a relaxing activity, ever thought about travelling with one. That is a great idea

11. Lovely article!