Why I Am Proud Of My Body

woman-looking-in-mirror

For many young women, body image is a scary subject. Throughout a woman’s life, her body will be judged and objectified and she will see what her culture and media thinks what the perfect body should be like. Body image and self-esteem are related and one highly effects the other. With all of this going on, is it really even possible to love your body?To understand the extent of this problem that women have with body image, here is some statistics on the issue, thanks to Miss Representation.

Stats can say a great deal about the validity of the situation. But this is more than just numbers. Each situation is very personal, and you can learn many things from one’s personal story. Thus, I will share a little about my body image story and how I gained pride in my body.

There are 3 parts to this story, which can be defined as my skin, my hair, and my weight.

My Skin

Like many people, I have a birth mark. However, my birthmark is very large compared to most, covering most of my arm and chest. Now, elementary school kids have no filter and will say whatever comes to mind, even if it is remarks about another student’s appearance. As a 7 year old, I was hiding my body from kids so they wouldn’t make comments about my birthmark, which meant wearing long sleeve shirts in Southern California in August. Somehow I got over this, but now when someone asks “What’s that?” and points to my arm, I remember 7 year old me wearing sweatshirts in the desert. Now, I don’t fear showing it, because it makes me unique and special and different than everyone else in some little way.

My Hair

I am a brunette…now. I was born a natural blonde, which look great when I was a little kid. But as I grew up, the blonde wasn’t bright and vibrant anymore, which caused people to judge. In middle school, I made the decision to dye my hair, and have been dying it ever since. The original reason was probably caused by mean middle school girls, but today it is because I like being a brunette. I have reclaimed my hair to look how I want it, and make changes however I see fit.

My Weight

This is the hardest part for many women and their body image. Like many, I am not model skinny, or probably even considered thin by cultural standards. I’ve had my weight fluctuate a lot between high school and now. One day, clothes fit fine and the next I can’t even get them on. It is a never-ending struggle, but I never see a huge problem with my weight until someone points it out.

Being proud of your body is a process and is never-ending. Pride will fluctuate depending on circumstances. But if you can look in the mirror in the morning and be happy with the way you look, then you’ve made a huge step towards body pride. Love the body you have, not the body you crave.

1. raphaelamandel says:

Such a great article. I know I’ve always struggled with body image issues but after the last couple of years, I’ve grown to love my body for what it is!

2. Very great and honest post. It wonderful to promote body confidence, thank you xx Rianna

3. Aishwarya S says:

Brilliantly written. Those facts are shocking! Every girl/woman needs to accept herself. If they’re not happy they can always change some things about themselves but personality matters more. 🙂

4. theclutterboxblog says:

it is so scary seeing those stats and realizing you were once and probably still are part of those stats. Great post

5. The Lone Star Blogger says:

This is such a huge issue today for women in America. All of my childhood, I was “too skinny” and was constantly harassed and bullied. If it wasn’t because I was skinny, it was because I was tall, had glasses, was missing teeth, or had boobs first. (I know, usually the first girl with boobs gets a TON of friends in the movies!)

When my parents decided to put me on anti-depressants, my weight shot up and out of control, thrusting me into the “morbidly obese” category to some very asinine and hypocritical doctors. I struggled with depression, suicidal tendencies, and self-harm such as cutting because I “hated” my body.

Now that I am older, I am off of the anti-depressants, I enjoy being in the sunshine and moving around. The weight is coming off, slowly, but it is coming off. My big concern now that I am 28 years old is not on my weight, but my health. I have accepted the fact that I am built differently and am naturally stocky, and I am totally cool with that.

In fact, I love freaking doctors out when I step on the scale and they cannot believe how heavy I am because they assume I am 40# lighter from just looking at me. Heavy weight doesn’t always equal “fat” and I wish THAT was publicized more.

I also did not realize how much weight LOSS upsets some people. My Fiance’ for example, weighed 128# and was 6′ tall when we met and he couldn’t gain a pound to save his life, because he was always stressed out. You want to talk about body issues? His was worse than MINE! Now that he has gained weight and is a healthy 160#, he thinks he is “too fat”…but hes muscular.

I just think it is terrible how body image affects so many people. Sorry for the long comment! LOL!

6. Jaime says:

Those stats are terrifying! I have a 1 year old daughter and to think that this could be her is so scary. We need to start from an early age, building up our daughters and teaching them to love their bodies.

7. Since having my daughter I have gained an additional 20lbs and it won’t go away. I am slowly learning how to accept this new body of mine. But like all of the facts you provided, being thin has been my way of life for almost thirty years. Being larger has really taken an emotional toll on me. I just wish we were all taught to accepting of who we are and not of what we are.

8. savvysandwicher says:

body image is so tough. I try so hard to not talk negatively about my body in front of my kids. I just try to focus us all on moving more and eating best.

9. tinsel12 says:

Startling statistics, but very beautiful post.

10. Gunjan says:

Loved your post and enhanced my confidence.

11. e says:

Needed the reminder & I loved the scale pic!

12. TSP says:

You raise an important point, most women struggle with this time and time again. It’s hard to feel good about yourself when people around you make you feel less than adequate. Great work!