Why I Am Not Sorry

I don’t know about you, but I am tired of apologizing.

We all have a tendency to apologize for stuff that, even if we love them, we can be judged for. If you love those things or they are a part of who you are, then you shouldn’t be apologizing for any of it. Why can’t we just be happy with what we have, and not feel bad if someone doesn’t like it too? I’ve reached a point where I am done apologizing for things for the sake of someone’s opinion. I am officially Sorry, Not Sorry.

But what am I not sorry for? Here’s some of the many things I won’t apologize for.

I’m not sorry about every time I have ever cried, including in public.

I’m not sorry about removing people from my life, because they were horrible and toxic to my happiness.

I’m not sorry that I quit my passion for my happiness.

I’m not sorry that I waste hours and hours of time on Youtube, because I always learn something new.

I’m not sorry that I am a feminist that will speak up, because I refuse to be silent about these issues.

I am not sorry that I am not super feminine, that I don’t like pink and dress up everyday, that I am not a girly girl. I am too complex to fit in the gender binary box society has assigned me.

I’m not sorry that I’m single and that I’m not hunting for a boyfriend.

I’m not sorry about anything I write about on this blog, because it is my intellectual property and I can write what I want.

I’m not sorry about my taste in music, movies, TV shows, books, games, and fashion. My opinion is mine for a reason.

I’m not sorry about choosing to watch the same TV show over and over again instead of finding something new.

I’m not sorry about insisting on reading a book before seeing the film adaptation.

I’m not sorry about preferring to stay in on a Friday night and watch movies than going out and doing anything outside of my living room.

I’m not sorry that I refuse to watch horror movies.

I’m not sorry that I sleep with a penguin pillow pet still. His name is Pudge, and he controls the weather.

I’m not sorry about anything I’ve ever done, because life is too short to have regrets.

I’m not sorry that I am completely sober, and never want to drink.

I am not sorry for refusing to let others make decisions for me. Not your life, not your place.

I am not sorry for not knowing or having religious beliefs.

And I am not sorry that I am not perfect, because no one is ever actually perfect.

What are you not sorry for?

1. ReelCarina says:

This is the very first time I read one of your posts and went straight for the follow button! You really made me identify with you, especially saying this:
    “I am not sorry that I am not super feminine, that I donโ€™t like pink and dress up everyday, that I am not a girly girl. I am too complex to fit in the gender binary box society has assigned me.”
    I’m not a girly girl either. And I’m also not a short-haired, androgynous woman. Actually I think we should abolish any kind of gender definition, then I wouldn’t have to think about what to describe myself as any longer. Thanks so much for this lovely post!

1. Exactly! We’re all just people, and that’s what matters

2. createyou86 says:

I love love love this post! It made me take a look at what I’m not sorry for, and am considering posting it as well!

3. createyou86 says:

I love love love this post it made me take a look at what I’m not sorry for, and am considering a similar type post.

4. Reblogged this on Books, Tea and a Onesie and commented:
    #Preach! Our quirks make us who we are, and we should appreciate them. This post is really inspiring, and speaks to me!

5. abOOkishOwl says:

This speaks to me. What a lovely post and it boosts up my confidence. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. purpldragon says:

Good on you, I think people need to be less afraid to be unapologetically themselves.

7. Andrea says:

We are definitely building a culture that likes to apologize FAR too much!! I am with you on not being sorry for cutting people out of my life that were hurtful and manipulative. Love the honesty in your post! Thanks for sharing!!

8. luisasamba says:

I really loved this post! Thank you so much for sharing these thoughts because I know that I feel sorry for way too many things.

9. Jaime says:

We should never have to apologize for being who we are! Good on you. =)

10. I am not sorry for standing up for what I wanted on my wedding day.
    I am not sorry for writing about someone when she wouldn’t listen to me until I wrote about her.

I am sorry I wasn’t following you before! ๐Ÿ™‚ Great blog post!

11. Annessa says:

This post totally reminded me of a Pantene commercial that I love (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzL-vdQ3ObA) I had never before been so aware of the frequency of times I say “sorry” a day – it’s crazy! The gif at the end couldn’t have said it any better. I regret nothing. YOLO.

Annessa

12. LOVE this post! Totally need to make one of my own! Thanks for sharing and the inspiration!

13. I love this post!

There are so many things I’m not sorry for…I should borrow this idea for my own post.