What Eleanor and Park Taught Me About Life

Warning: Possible spoilers, although I have tried my best to avoid spoiling anything too important or plot twisty.

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell is the latest book to be added to my finished shelf, and I have to say, I adored it. And as with everything I read, watch, and listen to, I’ve learned a few things.

Everyone Can Be Loved

As the girl who is seen as the chubby new girl with wild hair and even wilder outfits, Eleanor is an outcast compared to her fellow classmates. Park can also be considered an outcast, being the only Asian kid in a sea of white. They prove, by loving each other, that everyone, no matter weight, skin color, or anything else.

Don’t Let Other’s Get You Down

Eleanor is the target of bullying on a regular basis, and she fights to keep composure and dignity, which is hard for any teenager to do. It’s remarkable how coolly Eleanor can be in these situations, and it’s an admiring quality.

You Will Have To Make Difficult Decisions

Eleanor has a very difficult life, and has to make a huge choice about her future. You can’t neglect or ignore these situations, no mater what anyone says. You have to make decisions.

Goodbye is Never Really Permanent

If your paths are meant to cross, they will cross. And if you’re meant to be together, you will be together.

Have you read Eleanor & Park? What have you learned?

1. startraci says:

Oooh! Sounds like an interesting book!
    🙂
    Traci

2. Natalie says:

I’ve heard SO many great things about this book that it has to go on my reading list! I’ve got a couple of trips coming up where I might have some time to read–and I’m hoping to take this one with me! 🙂

3. Alicia Snow says:

This is on my list to read! I love the pictures!

I’ve never heard of this book before but it looks interesting. Added it to my “want to read” on Goodreads. Thanks for the suggestion!

5. One of my favorites, and my #1 recommendation to those that say they don’t like YA 😉 Love what you learned from it – I completely agree with all of them!

6. I read this book recently and completely fell in love with it. Completely agree with the lessons you took from it – it’s a great book for all young girls to read. It teaches you that you don’t have to change yourself to please a boy, you are worthy of love just the way you are.
    I thought it was really well written and the characters were so interesting and witty.
    Also… SPOILER ALERT…

The ending broke my heart.

7. DT says:

Hi, you have been tagged for an award. Check out my blog post for details 🙂
    —DT | Here I Scribble

8. sai says:

i read this book but i never got to finish it.maybe next month i will try to re read once again..=)