How To Travel With Strangers + Why You Should

strangers

You probably read the title of this post and thought “why in the world would you want to travel with strangers?!” but trust me, it’s a worthwhile experience.

With summer just around the corner, many people will venture out and travel all over. Most of the time it will be with loved ones, but the benefits of travelling with people you’ve never met are incredible. And I don’t just mean in a plane with people I didn’t know and then parted ways after landing, I mean actually spending your entire trip with people you’ve never met. You will learn how to communicate with new people, you will learn new perspectives and views, and you can create an irreplaceable bond with new friends. People are only strangers for so long, and when you do something as grand as travel with them, you will have a story to tell and memories you will cherish forever. It is an utterly unique experience that is hard to find anywhere else.

How do I know all of this? Well I have travelled with strangers on multiple occasions. The first when I was 17 years old, I was barely a senior in high school at the time. But I grew up so much and learned a great deal about myself and the people around me. So I have first hand experience in how to succeed in travelling with new people.

Here is what you need to know before venturing off with strangers.

Travel With An Organization You Trust

This is hands down the most important part, that’s why it’s listed first. It is definitely not a good idea to go up to someone random in Starbucks and ask if they want to go on vacation. Plan the trip with a company or organization that is trusted and safe. If there is someone there to organize and run the trip for everyone, they are also there to prevent safety risks and other issues. The group above I knew was safe, friendly, and well-known, so I was comfortable travelling with them.

Have Contact Information

Whether it’s for the trip leader or your new BFF, GET CONTACT INFO! The last thing you want is to be stranded somewhere with the ability to only contact your friends and family who aren’t there.

Be Prepared

It’s easy when travelling with friends or family to borrow something in case you’re forget it, such as toothpaste or hairspray and such. But when you’re with strangers, it can be off putting to ask for such things. Make a list of what you use often and might need so you don’t forget to pack it later.

Make Connections

Be open with your new friends and get to know each other. Like I said, people are only strangers for a short time. Try and find something that connects you together, even if it’s as simple as a mutual activity or favorite book. You’re more likely to make better memories and have a better time if you get to know your fellow travelers.

Be Confident

It’s difficult meeting new people in general, let alone when travelling and seeing new places. As long as you feel confident and comfortable with the trip itself, it will make the process significantly less stressful and scary.

Are you up to travelling with strangers? If so, where do you want to go?

1. Sabrina says:

My sister travels way more than I do and she always talks about people she’s met on her travels. I admire that in her and hope one day when the kids are a little older or have flown the nest, I can do it too. It seems like so much fun!

2. Christa Lei says:

I backpacked through most of Western Europe by myself and ended up making a lot of friends through city tours, as well as through my hostel. It’s difficult, I’ve found, to just go up to people– but luckily, I’m from a pretty interesting place, so when most people find out, they end up getting drawn into conversation. I’m a relatively quiet, low-key person though, and I had to force myself to get out of my shell! I definitely suggest staying in hostels where you know they’ll run events for you to meet people, and to go out on city tours by yourself and talk to people who you also see are alone.

3. Great post! I did something similar when I went to Costa Rica for two weeks. I volunteered to teach ESL, stayed with a host family, and went totally by myself! The best thing I have ever done!

4. Absolutely agree with all of these points! Really looking forward to following your blog as well. I just found you on authentic bloggers! http://truthandtravels.blogspot.com

5. Jaime says:

I’ve never even thought about traveling with strangers… The thought terrifies me, lol. But that does seem interesting!

6. Anna says:

I travel fairly often, but for an introvert like me it’s easier to go alone than with a stranger 😉

Anna
    The Anna Marie Blog

7. I’m way too afraid! I don’t even really enjoy traveling with friends, to be honest. I like traveling with my family and that’s it and by family I mean my kids… not my extended family. 😛

8. alyssa says:

As much as it scares me to travel with strangers, it also sounds like such an awesome thing to do at least once.

Not sure I could do something like that but it sounds exciting and freeing! I would be more interested in something like this on a smaller level, like an activity or group get together to meet new people.

10. amommasview says:

Sounds really interesting. Ever happened that you didn’t get along?

1. Since the groups I have been with have been 150+ people, there have been times where some got on my nerves. But we all treated each other like family, so it worked out

1. amommasview says:

I see! Well, if the groups are that size then I guess it is easy to get around the annoying ones…

11. Great post – I have always wanted to travel with strangers, but it has usually been people I have met while abroad so I have a vague knowledge of who they are rather than being complete strangers! I’m travelling at the moment so am keen to give this a try!

12. gladysjaime says:

agreed. I do that by volunteering in a trusted organisation. it really is interesting. not so much if i travel alone and meet other people in the youth hostels. there’s still that barrier of distance

13. Michelle Annelise,
    I adore this blog post! It’s spot on! You learn SO much from strangers – especially when you keep an open mind. I’ve ner considered traveler with an organisation but that’s actually a very good idea. That way, you travel with people as a group and meet stangers – new friends.

Keep up the good work!