What Daria Taught Me About Being 20

daria

For those of you who do not know, Daria is an MTV spin-off of Beavis and Butthead that aired from 1997 to 2002 originally. It is also my number one favorite show ever. Although it aired when I was merely I child, I remember watching the brief reruns as a preteen. It taught me a great deal of things, including what to expect in high school (granted I never had a musical montage because of a hurricane). However, the greatest lessons have followed me into young adulthood, and here they are.

It’s Ok To Not Know What Career You’ll Have Right Away

If you ask me what I plan on doing after graduation, I will more than likely blankly stare at you fr a few seconds before saying a lot of maybe and probably scattered around. No one wants to be 40 and miserable at work, so don’t try to plan your whole life at the age of 20.

Sometimes It’s A Hide Under The Pillow Day

Your twenties are such a complicated, complex, and weird time. Sometimes, when the world begins to confuse you, you just want to hide under a pillow for a moment or two. That escape can be all you need to get away from the oddness of young adulthood

Show Who You Truly Are

Daria struggles with her identity like most teenagers do, but her mother Helen brings out one of the biggest lessons for all of us here.

Sometimes, Your Biggest Accomplishment Is Waking Up

Again, this relates to hiding under a pillow. Being a young adult isn’t as dreamy and easy as people think. Yes, you may have to wake up and face the day, but at least you woke up!

Staying Home Is Nicer Than Going Out

Most nights, I’d rather watch reruns or movies at home in my pajamas than go out and do anything, and Daria’s misadventures when she left home further prove my point to staying in. Daria marathon anyone?

dariaedgy

Sarcasm is a Second Language

And sometimes it is your only defense against the dimwitted.

You Might Get Addicted To The Internet

Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest, Twitter, WordPress, Netflix, Bloglovin….

Pizza Solves All

Need I say more?

1. justinerae23 says:

Oh my gosh I’m SUCH a Daria fan

2. mia says:

so true! Daria just never stops being relevant to my life, haha.

3. beccadorr says:

Daria was absolutely brilliant!!

4. Crystal says:

Well I mostly just learned that I am old! I am of the Beavis and Butthead era. Ha Ha! I may have to force this upon my own teens. I hate the teen shows now.

1. Yeah they are pretty awful. Daria all the way!

Funny enough, most of these still apply well into your thirties… 🙂 Awesome show, I also watched it growing up. And Beavis and Butthead. 🙂

6. CurvyLou says:

[cackle] I LOVED Daria growing up, but saw it so sporadically that I had to do a Daria marathon when I found it all on Netflix. It may be time for a marathon re-run, it’s been a while. I’d forgotten the pillow over the head. For me, there are days when simply being sober and vertical is a triumph.

1. I own the whole series on DvD

1. CurvyLou says:

Och, I am pea green with envy. (:

2. It’s only $20 now online

7. haha I love Daria!!! Thanks for posting this, I needed a laugh!

8. Isabel says:

Haha this is so true!! Love Daria, and her mom is always so wise. She always knows what to say to make you snap out of it. I had a great time reading this!

9. This is so fun and so true! I love Daria and now I think I need to do a marathon of the series! 🙂

10. I have never watched /even heard of) Daria but I already know I’d love her. #1 was especially favorable because just yesterday I wrote a ranting blog post about how I can’t seem to settle on an interest, career or major… Though I need to pick a major, the other things can wait and heck, I’m only 19!

Thanks for those good words, and a good laugh!

11. HAHAHA SO true. Thanks for compiling this. I had a good laugh.

12. Nikki @ Boba + Pearls says:

This whole post was just TRUTH. LOL. I miss Daria — how did I not realize it was a Beavis and Butthead spin off??