Why I Am An Outgoing Introvert

outgoing intro

You’ve heard of extroverts and introverts, but have you heard of an outgoing introvert?

If you aren’t exactly sure what an introvert is, introversion is where a person spends most time and enjoys thinking about one’s own thoughts and feelings. They recharge when alone, instead of with people, and would rather stay in on a Friday night than go out. Extroverts are the polar opposite; they love being around people and going out, and have a lot of interest in others. But what happens when you fall in between? That is where outgoing introverts come in!

Outgoing introverts have mostly introvert characteristics, but also posses some extrovert qualities as well. But how do you know which qualities make the complexity that is an outgoing introvert? Well, lucky for you, I have listed some of them below, particularly the one’s I relate to personal.

You Are Selectively Social

Introverts are commonly called anti-social, since they are not fans of large social situations. Outgoing introverts, however, are not completely against being social. We are perfectly capable at being social, they just have to warm up to the situation. We also hate small talk, because it goes nowhere. We prefer to carefully chose what social situations we put ourselves in to, and enjoy deep conversations over frivolous chatter.

Finding Someone You Really Like Is Like Winning the Lottery

Extreme extroverts exhaust us, and extreme introverts rarely interact with us, so finding someone we vibe with and can having long, engaging conversations with is like winning the lottery, it’s possible but not probable. It takes a lot of energy to find someone who can understand the complex behavior of outgoing introverts, and when we do find a person we genuinely like, it’s a miraculous moment.

You Hate Traditional Systems

How stuff is traditionally set up is made for extroverts, such as crowded bars, open office spaces, and anything with the word “public” in it’s name. The last place I want to be is anywhere super crowded and open, where anyone and everyone can hear what I’m saying. Outgoing introverts find comfort in places with more intimacy and the ability to have private, deep conversations in comfort. Think cozy coffee shops that aren’t Starbucks or small town diners that aren’t Denny’s.

People Will Confuse You With An Extrovert

Even though you mostly relate to introvert qualities, a little extrovert comes out every now and again. We’re confident in our skin and know our beliefs and opinions clearly enough to articulate to others. And when we get into a great conversations, we won’t stop talking. This, to an outsider, will look like an extrovert, because they don’t see all of the introversion you have in that moment. So if you’ve ever had to say “No, really, I’m an introvert” you’re probably an outgoing introvert.

Your Energy Level Depends On The Environment

If the environment is calm and relaxed, that’s what we are. If it’s exciting and energized, that’s what we are. We vibe off of the energy of the situation, and it can greatly effect our mood. We don’t necessarily prefer one over the other, because it really depends on how we feel in the moment.

You Probably Didn’t Know You Were An Outgoing Introvert

Most only know about introverts and extroverts, and nothing in between, including myself before seeing it a few days ago. We think we are one or the other, and shove ourselves into that box even though we have all these other qualities about us. Embrace all of you, not just the introvert or extrovert.

Are you an outgoing introvert? Or maybe a shy extrovert? Let me know in the comments!

1. .hartland. says:

Well there you go. I just found out I’m an outgoing introvert!

Thanks for that πŸ™‚

2. DT says:

THAT IS ME!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing this πŸ™‚
    β€”DT
    Here I Scribble

1. You’re welcome πŸ™‚

3. imoldernow says:

I love this!! so accurate!

-xx Tay

4. Isabel says:

Omg this is me! You just literally described me, it feels good then to now that I’m kind of normal and that there are more people who feel like me!

5. bethietheboo says:

This is SO me. And it’s so hard to explain to people, I can be very outgoing and am good at speaking in front of crowds and what not, but I need my ME time to recharge. Great post.

6. You described me to a T. I fit right into all of these definitions. It’s rare that someone else can understand how I interact with the world around me.

7. It feels like you described me exactly! Great post! Hooray for being an outgoing introvert! πŸ™‚

8. lilypup says:

Gosh I think I am all of those! That must be why I have bipolar πŸ™‚ Great job on this post and the images really added a lot. lily http://lilypupslife.wordpress.com/

9. zealthinks says:

Brilliant!!!! Love this post in It’s entirety!! Being an outgoing introvert myself I can relate with the post so well especially the 2nd point and reading this post made me Feel just that way…like I’ve hit a jack pot…I’m definitely following your blog.

10. Annessa says:

This is sooooo me! Crazy, I always knew I fell somewhere in between, but had no idea there was an actual name for it.

11. Leanne says:

Want to try and be friends?

12. Just followed you.Seeing as you have me pegged, you’re definitely another golden one of our kind. πŸ™‚ Thank You

What a great post, loved it! This list describes a lot of my characteristics. I’m painfully shy around new people and in large crowds but do have my outgoing moments. Thanks for an insightful look into another aspect of ourselves and the people around us!

14. I love this article! I’m an outgoing introvert as well. I especially liked the characteristic of your energy level depends on your environment — that is totally me! Glad others identify the same!

15. hackernewbie says:

Thanks for helping me find out myself!

That’s ME, every bit of it!!

16. Power of Mum says:

Omg, love this. I think I am an outgoing introvert. I am very selective but love socialising with the right people. I wrote a post about how I have feel around networking/making friends as an introvert, mistakes I’ve made and lessons I’ve learned from mentors. Check it out if you have time https://powerofmum.wordpress.com/2015/03/26/a-networking-lesson-for-half-the-population/

1. Power of Mum says:

Had to reblog πŸ™‚

17. Power of Mum says:

Reblogged this on Power of Mum and commented:
    I read this and thought this is me

18. ksbeth says:

me too! this explains a lot and xactly as you said, people don’t believe me when i tell them i’m an introvert. because i am this type of introvert. makes perfect sense to me. thanks ) beth

19. e says:

Love this. I always describe myself as an extrovert with strong introvert tendencies. I can relate☺️

1. e says:

And when quiet…people always think something is wrong…

20. e says:

Reblogged this on authenticitee and commented:
    Only the discerning eye can see the hidden introvert in me….

Love this piece:

21. justinerae23 says:

Oh my gosh, as an INFJ this is so me

22. Koumba Orsi says:

OMG. I totally recognize myself in this. It feels good to know that out there, there a people like me. Wonderful post, I had to reblog!!!
    Koumbaorsi.wordpress.com

23. Koumba Orsi says:

Reblogged this on Koumba Orsi and commented:
    Introvert vs Extrovert… It is not always black or white

24. startraci says:

I so get this! In large groups, I am lost – terrible at small talk. I mean painful. But in small groups or one on one, I’m a different person. People who have never seen me in big groups don’t believe me when I say I’m shy. Now I understand!
    πŸ™‚
    Traci

25. CurvyLou says:

Hi! Found you on Community Pool. I’ve always called myself a “hyperactive introvert” because I was always called hyperactive as a child. I think I like Outgoing Introvert better. (: This description fits me very well.

26. Dads Taxi says:

Now I know what I am. For many years, Myers Griggs had me labeled as an introvert. Suddenly a few years ago.. I got reclassified as an extrovert.. I said No I’m not.. I’m just an outgoing Introvert.. Loved your article!

27. This is me, the outgoing introvert. πŸ˜‰

28. Reblogged this on Putting my Feet in the Dirt and commented:
    I am definitely the outgoing introvert. What are you?

29. Yes. That’s me on the nose. Extreme extroverts are exhausting!!! And there’s nothing worse than having to shout a conversation. Great post.

30. pattyalcala says:

I think I fall into the outgoing introvert category. But I started out as an absolute extrovert. All of my life until my husband died ten years ago and it took a long time to move from stagnant to introvert. Now, I think I am comfortable in my own skin as an outgoing introvert.

31. cb says:

Be sure to check out the book Quiet by Susan Cain.

32. I think I am a selectively outgoing introvert. My close friends are very extroverted. Opposites attract?

33. Mary says:

That is me all the way, outgoing introvert. Interesting post.

34. Samantha says:

I’m neither. I don’t believe that there is such a thing. πŸ™‚

35. franzi000 says:

Ohhhhh I am definitly an outgoing introvert πŸ˜‰ Really nice article!

36. It is great to see your post. Walter

37. Traveling Light says:

I call myself “a well socialized Introvert”. As a Southern girl, I grew up socialized as an extrovert. It took me years to learn I’m an introvert and why I crash (run out of energy) so often. I don’t as often as I used to, because I protect my introverted energy. Years of experience — I’m finally learning.

38. sharon1402 says:

At last! I just thought I was odd!