Why I Am Proud To Have Red Lips

red my lips

It’s more than just about the red lip, classic style Taylor Swift has so popularized.

Red My Lips is a non-profit organization and a campaign where, for the entire month of April, people pledge to wear red lipstick in order to speak out about sexual violence and end victim blaming. Thus use of red lipstick is to make our mouths more visible to we are both seen and heard as we change the way our society views rape victims. It is to show support to survivors and start conversations about the myths of rape and victim-blaming.

Red My Lips combats the idea that women are ‘asking for it’ when they wear skirts, drink too much, or even wear red lipstick. It fights the idea that sexual assault is caused by uncontrollable needs and tight clothing, but rather calls out what it really is: an act of violence and control.

Danielle Tansino founded Red My Lips in December 2012 after her own sexual assault case was dropped by the district attorney because “Jurors don’t like girls that drink”. However, it is not the system that’s failing victims, but our society as a whole for normalizing the behaviors of actors by stating it is “just a misunderstanding”.

I pledge to wear red lipstick for the month of April, and I hope everyone who reads this joins me by using #RedMyLips on Twitter. Want to get involved without lipstick? You can find out more on the Red My Lips FAQ Page.

2016 Update! You can now help raise funds, host events at schools and colleges, and find so many new ways to get involved!

1. Krysten says:

This is a wonderful cause and I had no idea about it. I’ll be wearing red lips and talking to anyone who will listen! Thank you for sharing this.

2. corisbigmouth says:

ive never heard of this nonprofit but will be sure to wear red lipstick next month to show/share awareness.

3. corisbigmouth says:

I’ll be sure to wear red lipstick next month! Great cause!

4. alyssa says:

I already love red lipstick so I am so going to take part in such a great movement!

5. Oh my gosh, this is so cool! I definitely do not need more of a reason to wear red lipstick everyday for a month (and this will totally be worth having dry lips!)

6. Wow, I’ve never heard about this before so I’m glad you are bringing awareness to it! Sounds like an amazing cause!

7. Claire says:

This is awesome! Maybe I’ll try it too!

8. Oh my gosh, this just gives a whole new meaning to red lip stick! I really can’t believe we live in the 21st century and this kind of stuff still exists. It’s time to take a stand against this disgusting mentality. No one asks for it – unless they actually verbally say it without fear or influence.

With Love, Fatema | creativeinthearts.blogspot.co.uk

9. nikkifrankhamilton says:

what a great way to draw attention to this issue! I have a 15 year old daughter and the thought of what could happen as she gets more social, well it scares me to death! Thanks for sharing how we can help!

10. Way to go! I’m taking part as well 🙂